Looking for an iPad app that combines writing, letters, numbers, phonics, and counting? Then look no further than the Letter School iPad app. This intelligently designed app will captivate the iPad user through entertaining animations and an easy to navigate interface. The iPad app brilliantly teaches how to write each letter and number through simple guided steps, with each step becoming increasingly difficult. Best of all, this is done in a manner that is both entertaining and fun!
Name of iPad App:
Letter School by Boreaal
Overview of Letter School iPad App:
Letter School is one of the best designed iPad apps available to teach children how to write letters and numbers. It also teaches basic phonics and counting. This is all accomplished through an amazingly interactive design. Each time a letter or number is written a different animation helps reinforce the correct manner to write.
The basic template for each letter or number consists of 3 steps. The first step involves touching the letter or number at key dots or points. These points must be touched in the correct order as if the letter or number were being written. Once the correct dot is touched the portion of the letter or number that corresponds to the dot springs to life with animation. The animation is designed to demonstrate the proper motion used to write. Once all the key points have been touched the animation continues to show the proper motion used to write the letter or number. If the dot is not touched within a reasonable amount of time it bounces up to help the user find the correct point.
The second phase of the writing process builds upon the first. The same dots or points used in step 1 are also found in step 2. However, the user must draw the correct motion to create the letter or number. Animations are once again used to encourage the proper motion for writing. If the letter or number is not drawn correctly or not drawn in a sufficient amount of time the app will provide a hint to the user. Once the complete letter or number has been drawn it springs to life with more animation.
The third phase of the writing process becomes even more difficult. The key points or dots found in steps 1 and 2 are used to help start the writing process. However, once the first point is touched they all disappear. The iPad app user must then draw the letter or number on his own. If the correct motion is not used the line disappears and the process must be started again. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts the app will once again provide a hint to help with the writing process.
The best part about the brilliant learning process outlined above is the animations that entertain the user along the way. There are several different animations provided that keep the Letter School iPad app exciting and engaging. Some of the different animations that occur as the letters or numbers are being written include:
- A caterpillar stretching along the path of the letter
- A fuse burning along the number path and then exploding as it gets to the end of a segment
- A jewel necklace stretching along the letter path
- A dirt path that sprouts into a flower bed once the correct letter or number segment has been written
- Railroad track and a train that stretch along each portion of the letter
- A spaceship that flies along the writing path of the letter or number
- A spring that bounces into the correct shape of the number
- And many, many more!
Once every letter or number has been successfully written the app advances to an even more difficult level. The same 3 step process is followed but this level utilizes free form writing on the 3rd step. Once written correctly the free form version created by the user replaces the letter or number found on the menu. Thus, the menu eventually becomes a customized menu as the iPad user creates each letter or number through free form writing. This level also features unique animations compared to the less difficult level.
Video Demo of Letter School:
- Select between 3 different player profiles
- Select between capital letters, lowercase letters, or numbers
- Select between 3 different writing styles or typefaces:
- D’Nealian Style
- HWT Style
- Zaner-Bloser Style
- Reset scores (this feature can be locked)
iPad App Designed to Teach:
- Correct writing skills
- Uppercase and lowercase letters
- Numbers and counting
- Letter sounds
May Help Children with Autism:
- Develop fine motor skills
- Improve hand-eye coordination
- Learn cause and effect
- Improve handwriting skills
*Note: Letter School iPad app screenshots are copyrighted and are used with the permission of their owner.
Additional Resources for Letter School iPad App:
- Developer Website for Letter School
- Review of Letter School by Your Therapy Source
- Review of Letter School iPad App by the iPhone Mom